Stitched By Me

A place to share projects from my sewing room.

Hand Dyed Winding Ways Table Runner

Every time I see a photo of a winding ways quilt, I want to make one. I am getting closer to doing just that, after doing some sample blocks first.

Since the piecing for the Winding Ways block must be precise, I wanted to be sure that the pieces were also cut precisely.

I bought the Accuquilt Winding Ways die and borrowed my friend, Carole’s, Accuquilt die cutting machine.   I only have a Go! Baby and there is no WW die for the Baby.

I recently dyed two pieces of fabric that I thought would be perfect for trying out these blocks.

These fabrics were ice dyed using a “spider fold”. I was just trying out the technique for fun.

If you are interested in knowing what colors I used, I will check my notes and post the info in the comments section of these photos on my Flickr page.

In this first picture, you can really see the “spider” in the center.

This second piece was folded the same way, but I used a larger piece of fabric and less dye and got a completely different design.

I had just enough of these two fabrics to make a table runner (4 blocks and borders for the top, backing and binding).

I was pleasantly surprised that these blocks went together pretty easily. I still need to perfect my ¼” seam, though, because they ended up smaller than the 8.5″ that they were supposed to and I had to trim the uneven edges.

This is the first project completely pieced on my Singer Featherweight. It stitches beautifully, but I am so used to the bells and whistles of my modern machines, like needle up/down, auto thread cutter, needle position adjust….. It is an awesome little machine, though, and much easier to move around. It is usually in its case and stored out of the way.

Speaking of modern machines, I quilted this project on my Baby Lock Tiara. The design was drawn free hand with a chalk pencil and then I just followed the lines.

I am becoming much more comfortable/confidant using this machine.  I chose a thread color that really doesn’t show much because I didn’t want my “hiccups” to show.

The colors look a bit washed out in these photos, but here are views of both, the top and the back.  I forgot to get rid of the chalk marks on the top before taking the pictures.  Now I just need to find the time to make a bigger quilt with this block to really show off the illusion of overlapping circles that happens when several blocks are joined.

Advertisements

1 Comment

  1. jayne Willis

    Beautiful hand dyed fabric! Love seeing and doing it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s