A Project Using My Hand Dyed Samples
I wanted to do a small project with my new hand dyed fabric samples. I remembered seeing a photo of a quilt a while back on Flickr that I wanted to use as my inspiration.
Once I located that photo again, I realized that I definitely could do a similar version of this on a much smaller scale with the 3 sets of gradations that I just dyed.
I decided to cut my strips 1.75” wide.
Since I was just doing a small project, I cut just one strip from each of the 18 shades/colors, which was enough to give me 12 blocks.
Each block consisted of 3 shades of one of the colors with 2 strips of black that framed each side of the strips .
Once I had the blocks complete and was happy with the layout, I took a photo, “Just in case”.
Boy, am I glad I took that photo.
I was SURE that I was carefully stacking and stitching the sets of blocks together, but when I tried to put them back in place, they would NOT go! After referring to the photo, I realized I had sewn the seam on the wrong edge of one section and that threw the design off completely, but just for a moment.
The 12 blocks stitched together rather quickly, even with the unstitching that I had to do.
The black borders confine the design and give it a finished look.
I chose to baste it with both spray adhesive and some straight pins. I did straight line quilting in the well of the seams.
Here is a picture of my sewing room helper.