Stitched By Me

A place to share projects from my sewing room.

This Week-End Was SEW Productive!

This week-end I started AND completed 2 small sewing projects.

My friend Carole invited me and a few other machine embroidery friends over to her house for a sewing day this past Friday. Sometimes we have a common project, other times it is just bring your machine and something to work on.

Since this was the first time she was able to open her sewing room for a sewing day this year, we each brought our own project.
I started an In the Hoop project called “Tree-Mendous” . I finished it later that same day at home.

It consists of 11 design files, each stitched onto water soluable stabilizer and each previously stitched part is joined to the currently stitched part.

I was going to make this in white, but the blue was on sale for 50% off plus I had a coupon for an additional 20% off. This is an ombre blue satin fabric. I used the darker blue at the trunk and graduated to the lighter blue on the way up to the top of the tree, then back to the darker blue for the star.

There were 2 spots that I trimmed a little too close and got some raveling.

In order to save this project, I just used a wider zig-zag stitch to  re-stitch and enclose the raveled edge.

These minor repairs are fairly obvious in the completely stitched tree, but they will be hidden by bows that I will be adding later. (I will wait until closer to Christmas to add them so that they don’t get smashed in the mean time.)
I will also be adding some hot fix crystals to embellish it a bit further.

My second project was my AAQI Monthly Challenge mini quilt.
This month’s challenges were:
Theme Challenge
Primary Colors

Color/Fabric Challenge
Primary Colors

Design/Technique Challenge
Ruching

I cut die shapes from solid fabrics in primary and secondary colors and arranged them in a fun pattern onto a white background. The shapes were fused and then just straight stitched near the edge. A small stipple stitch quilted the white area and a button was added to the center.
I wanted a bright color for the binding and I think the orange was a fun choice.

Fast Finish Triangles were added to the corners on the back side for hanging. Since they are in all four corners, this can be hung in any direction.

I usually take forever to finish a project. This one was designed, prepared, assembled, finished and registered in just one day!
Two projects started and completed in two days. Now to clean up my sewing room and look forward to next week-end, which happens to be April’s Friday Night Sew In.

Handmade by Heidi

You are welcome to sign up and join in.

Advertisements

1 Comment

  1. Melita

    That Color Play quilt is really pretty. Very eye-catching. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s