September 2011 FNSI ~ What I Worked On
I spent a little bit of time just finishing up a couple of ongoing projects, then it was time to do something just for FNSI.
I started with an oversized white t-shirt, the ones that you can pick up in the craft department of Joann’s or Wal-Mart for just about $3 each, and embroidered a design onto the front.
I really need to perfect my stabilization abilities for this type of project, but I am getting there. I intend to also do a fit make over on this shirt. I have tried it on a couple of shirts already, but have not been happy with the end result. I will try a different approach on this one and will make a blog post on the finished result.
The embroidery design I used is Dahlia Trio from Embroidery Library.
The second project I did was to do a sample stitch out of a design that I digitized.
I am thinking of embroidering this design onto a scrub top I will be making soon. I hated to just throw out the sample, so decided to make it into a mini mug rug for my desk.
I was able to use the stitch out and practice free motion quilting (with the help of a small glass of wine).
I didn’t want the binding to be bulky, so stitched just a single layer, cut 1 inch wide, to the front and then turned under the raw edge on the back. I really should have cut the binding strip wider so that I would have more raw edge to turn under on the back.
The back side of the binding is a bit wonky, but this was a practicing my skills project. I think it turned out cute.
Thanks to Heidi and Bobbi for hosting Friday Night Sew In each month. It is truly a motivator to spend some time in the sewing room.